Saturday, June 9, 2012

Recipe: "Healthier" Bran Muffins

Here's another muffin recipe for you.  Sorry for the lack of real juicy posts lately--I know some of you, or maybe all of you, could care less about the recipes I come up with in my spare time.  I should probably stop baking because all I do is bake and then eat....all of them.  I figured that I won't have homemade baked goods for 6 weeks so why not make as many as I can before leaving.  That includes other items like pizza and gelato, yum!

So I love bran muffins.  Call me a freak or a health snob but I cannot get by without a good bran muffin recipe.  My mom makes the best ones I know--healthier than most places since bran muffins from bakeries, cafes and places like tim hortons, Starbucks and dunkin donuts can pack some serious fat, sugar and calories...yuck.  Why disguise a unhealthy muffin as healthy by tacking on the word bran?  If i'm eating a bran muffin it sure as hell better be a healthy one.


"Healthier" Bran Muffins
half batch. Double if you'd like more!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup brown sugar (or 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar)
1/2 box bran cereal **I used plain bran flakes
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

2 cups buttermilk **
I used two cups almond milk and 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 egg/ 1 egg white (if using oil use 2 eggs)
3/4 cup vanilla chobani 0% (or 1 cup oil)

Raisins or other dried fruit to taste


Directions:
1. combine dry ingredients in large bowl
2. make a well
3. combine wet ingredients, make sure to whisk egg together with yogurt or oil.
4. pour wet into the dry
5. mix well

Bake: 400 degrees for 20 minutes

**these are a "bit" chewier than other muffins but I really like them.  My mom complained of the lack of sugar but I found them to be quite enjoyable!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...