Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Summer Time Smoothies


It is finally summer and I am quickly falling back into my "typical" summer routine.  When I say typical I mean, yes, typical for me.  I'm not sure there are many other college students that enjoy getting up early to run followed with thinking up some delicious replenishing breakfast. 

 I decided to embrace my typical routine by getting up and running a short 2 miles with my mom followed with my first trip back to the YMCA.  I realized how spoiled I am to have a membership in the city to an all women's gym--specialized machines, comfortable and no strange stairs from the locals. Oh I will definitely be missing that for the coming weeks.  I honestly cannot tell you why I take such issue with readjusting to a gym that I used to be so familiar with but I am almost always stricken with fear that seriously puts a damper on my workout.  However, I pushed through, found the machines that I am used to working with and made myself a list of free weight exercises to do and volia--done.


This morning I had decided to start in with some smoothies and had been craving one ever since I made up my mind.  I had seen this idea on Pinterest which led me a blog with a brief description of how it works--honestly it is pretty self explanatory but here is a picture for all you visual learners out there:

Courtesy of Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs.

Steps:

1. Buy or find a cheap blender
2. Remove the main pitcher that it comes with and separate blade (be careful this is sharp!)
3. fill a medium sized mason jar with your smoothie of choice
4. place blade on top of mason jar, attach the piece that holds everything together
5. flip and place on the blender. 

** I find that holding it down works best since the jar doesn't completely screw into the blender mechanism.


Think Magic Bullet on a budget--except this is better since the Magic Bullet is (a) $50 and (b) pretty time consuming with all those parts that seem to get lost!

Full and beautiful with lots of protein and antioxidants!


Ready to drink!

The recipe for today:

1/2 frozen banana
1/4 (give or take) Wegmans mixed frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries & blackberries)
1 container of chobani
1/2 a packet of Spiruten Vanilla Protein Powder
1/2 cup (i didn't measure)? Almond Milk

Blend and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...