Friday, November 4, 2011

Guest Blog: Apple Galette

When Hayley from, Silly Little Love, asked me to guest blog for her this weekend, I simply couldn't say no. I was introduced to Hayley's blog through our mutual friend Maureen and she remains, to this day, my inspiration for blogging. So here we are faced with a bit of sadness since Halloween is over and a reason to celebrate, November has just begun! We are in serious need of something fall-ish to indulge in.

My previous post, the Pumpkin Scones, were going to be my staple recipe for this weekend.  However, if you read what happened, you'll understand why I started over.  I don't really feel like spending time describing their dense texture and all so just take my word when I say, they weren't up to my standards of baking.

Luckily, I came back and made something even better, Apple Galette. What is a Galette? It is a type of French flat, free-form pastry crust that is garnished with your favorite toppings. Constantly reading food magazines and blogs I had noticed that these desserts were gaining popularity so I decided to give it my own spin.

Apple Galette

Crust:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup crisco (shortening)
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

Filling:
4 large cortland apples (sliced)
3 tbsp cinnamon (more to taste)
1/2 tbsp all-spice
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp flour

Glaze:
1 large egg
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper (Again, easy removal and clean up!)

The crust is a recipe passed down from my grandmother (hence the crisco) and must not be messed with much, the less "working in" the better because this will allow the crust to be light and flakey.

Mix salt and flour together. Slowly "fork" in crisco until clumps are smaller than a pea. Combine milk and vinegar in separate container and slowly mix into flour mixture. Form a ball in plastic baggy and place in fridge for 20 minutes.

To roll out: use two pieces of LARGE saran wrap.  Wet the counter with water so that it does not move about. Roll to desired thinness and don't forget to flip over at some point. (Lift saran on top layer and place back on top, then flip and do the same).

Filling, simply combine all ingredients to taste and don't forget to try an apple slice to make sure you added enough spices to your liking.  Also, make sure apples are sliced thin.

Place crust on baking sheet and add apple mixture to the middle of crust. Fold crust edges up over some of the apple and drizzle with glaze!

Bake at 425 degrees F for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown, cool and enjoy!




Now thats what I call a Galette :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...